Friday, February 6, 2009

Salerno-Day 15

Again, sorry I haven't been blogging as often. I should be able to do it every other day or so now. Our team is finally getting familiar with our jobs. I would say in another couple of weeks we'll be serious pros at this (yeah right!). Still can't talk to our Afghan contractors without using hand signals, but hey, whatever gets the job done.

I guess a few of you have heard about the bridge that the Taliban blew up between Afghanistan and Pakistan. That is affecting our supplies, but mainly food. We are running out of some things at the DFAC like milk and cheese, but they are doing a great job with what they have. They apparently do have plenty of personal sized pizzas and eggs because they were serving eggs on those pizzas this morning. Wasn't brave enough to try that. Decided I'd stick with my oatmeal and regular scrambled eggs.

Today we (the FET, field engineering team) have been challenged by our contracting folks to a volleyball duel. We're going to shutdown here at about noon (since it is the Muslim holy day) and after working out, we're going to throttle the desk jockeys. I'll let you know how that turns out.

Forgot about how bright it actually is here at night with a full moon approaching. You certainly don't need flashlights when walking around at night. All of the gravel they have everywhere on the ground actually gives the appearance of snow---kind of weird.

Been using my Kindle a lot at night, too. I believe I discussed how cool that electronic book from Amazon really is. I'm rifling through a book called Semper Mars right now, and it's pretty good if you like sci-fi combined with military stuff. I still have a good 40 books in there to go.

Speaking of keeping busy, at the bazaar I bought a Rosetta Stone course for Spanish--cost me $15, and I got another set of DVDs that has about every computer program on it you'd ever want. I'm sure it's all licensed. That kept me busy most of last night, and I haven't even scratched the surface of what's on there. BTW the bazaar has about any movie or TV series you would ever want at about $3/disk so if you need anything, let me know.

Well, that's all for now, I'll ramble some more in a day or two----Jack out!

1 comment:

Raquel said...

hey, if you're able, i want a rosetta stone to learn german! oh, and nice blog about the 220v speakers. thrilling reading.